The Asbestos Awareness campaign is overseen by SafeWork NSW, the ACTU, the Asbestos Safety and Eradication Agency and James Hardie Industries SE and supported by the Asbestos Diseases Research Institute. Funding for this campaign was provided by James Hardie Industries SE, the Asbestos Safety and Eradication Agency, the Environment Protection Authority, The Dust Diseases Board and the Heads of Asbestos Coordination Authorities.
The Asbestos Education Committee will focus on home renovators and tradesman by:
- Alerting those people to the dangers of asbestos;
- Alerting those people as to what products may contain asbestos and where those products may be found in existing household or other environment; and
- Advising those people as to the steps that ought be taken by people planning home renovations or who otherwise identify asbestos products in their home or other.
HEADS OF ASBESTOS COORDINATION AUTHORITIES
In November 2010 the NSW Ombudsman released a report called Responding to the asbestos problem: The need for significant reform in NSW. In response to the Ombudsman’s Report the Government supported the findings of the report and announced the establishment of a central coordination body – the Heads of Asbestos Coordination Authorities (HACA).
The HACA aims to ensure that NSW Government agencies and local councils effectively coordinate the safe management of asbestos across all areas of workplace health, public health and environment protection. The HACA has developed a State-wide Asbestos Plan, a Model Asbestos Policy for all Local Councils and an extensive educational campaign to raise public awareness.
The HACA is chaired by the SafeWork CEO and attended by Executive representatives from:
- Environment Protection Authority
- NSW Ministry of Health
- Department of Planning and Environment
- Department of Industry
- Office of Local Government
- Local Government NSW
- Ministry of Police and Emergency Services and Office of Emergency Management
- Dust Diseases Authority.
The 1800 Asbestos Hotline (1800 272 378) has been established by The NSW Heads of Asbestos Coordination Authorities (HACA) to provide free advice and guidance on asbestos-related issues and is a central point of contact for all asbestos enquiries in NSW.
Further information about the HACA can be found on the SafeWork website .
Share this information on: