1800 ASEBESTOS HOTLINE
The 1800 Asbestos Hotline (1800 272 378) has been established by The NSW Heads of Asbestos Coordination Authorities (HACA) to provide free advice and guidance on asbestos-related issues and is a central point of contact for all asbestos enquiries in NSW.
- The NSW Government DIY Safe contains information about the hazards and risks that home renovators may face from a range of chemicals and materials, including asbestos
- All asbestos removal is to be in accordance with the Code of Practice for the Safe Removal of Asbestos NOHSC [2002(2005)]
- Asbestos — A guide for householders and the general public has been produced by The Department of Health to provide useful information to enable householders to sensibly and safely manage the risks arising from any occasional encounters with asbestos materials in and around their homes
- Fact Sheets for safe asbestos management in the home have been developed for householders.
The most accurate way to find out if your fibro building product contains asbestos is to have it tested at a NATA laboratory approved for asbestos identification. You can’t tell by looking at it. If in doubt, assume asbestos is present and take the necessary precautions.
Any inquiries for analysis of suspected asbestos should be directed to NATA – The National Association of Testing Authorities. For a NATA Lab List call 1800 621 666 or refer to their website at http://www.nata.com.au. When searching for an asbestos testing facility use a capital A in Asbestos.
Asbestos is still widely used in some countries. Despite being a prohibited import in Australia, goods containing asbestos are still being located at the Australian border. For more information visit the Federal Asbestos Safety and Eradication Agency website or download the Australian Border Force Fact Sheet on asbestos imports.
MR FLUFFY & LOOSE FILL
For information on loose-fill asbestos ceiling insulation material installed by Mr Fluffy during the 1960s and 1970s in the ACT visit the ACT Asbestos Taskforce or in NSW please contact Service NSW on 13 77 88 or visit the NSW Fair Trading Asbestos Taskforce.
ASBESTOS HEALTH & ENVIRONMENT RELATED
- SafeWork NSW Asbestos and demolition Register
- icare formerly NSW Dust Diseases Board
- NSW Ministry for Health for asbestos and health risks
- Asbestos — A guide for householders and the general public has been produced by The Department of Health.
- The EPA has a fact sheet called “Safely disposing of asbestos waste from your home” contact them on 13 15 55 or visit the EPA website for more information.
- To locate your closest asbestos disposal facility visit the Asbestos Safety & Eradication Agency’s disposal database
- The Australian Institute of Occupational Hygienists has a list of consultants in occupational hygiene on its website who deals with asbestos issues. You can also call the institute on (03) 9335 2577 (03) 9335 2577 for further information.
LEGISLATION & LOCAL GOVERNMENT
- 1800 Asbestos Hotline (1800 272 378) is a free asbestos information and advice hotline operated by SafeWork NSW.
- See SafeWork NSW website for details about NSW asbestos removal legislation
- Contact your local council for information relating to legalities of asbestos disposal in your area
- Visit SafeWork NSW website for forms to apply for or renew licences to remove bonded asbestos or friable asbestos. For licence information, ring the SafeWork NSW Licensing Process Unit on (02) 4321 5497 (02) 4321 5497.
- For other enquiries, contact the Asbestos Demolition Unit on (02) 9281 7486 (02) 9281 7486
RESEARCH & SUPPORT GROUPS
LICENCED ASBESTOS REMOVALISTS
- Visit SafeWork NSW’s Asbestos and Demolition Licence Register
- Demolition & Contractors Association (DCA) NSW
- Asbestos Removal Contractors Association NSW (ARCA)
- Yellow Pages
ASBESTOS REMOVAL TRAINING
- TAFE NSW
- Housing Industry Association (HIA)
- Local Government Training Institute
- Comet Training
- Masters Builders Association (MBA)
- Asbestos Removal Contractors Association NSW (ARCA)
- SafeWork NSW produced a video which covers the legislative and licensing requirements for asbestos removal contractors
WHO TO CONTACT?
A 1800 Asbestos Hotline (1800 272 378) has been established by The NSW Heads of Asbestos Coordination Authorities (HACA) to provide free advice and guidance on asbestos-related issues and is a central point of contact for all asbestos enquiries in NSW.
Safe Management of Asbestos in Your Home:
- General asbestos safety issues- Local Council
- Derelict properties – Local Council
Complaints About Unsafe Work at a Residential Property:
- Work conducted by a neighbour – Local Council
- Work conducted by a contractor or worker – SafeWork NSW
- Licensed removal work at a residence – SafeWork NSW
- Removal work carried out by the homeowner or tenant as part of renovations or demolition work – Local Council
- Small removal and maintenance jobs able to carried out by homeowner/tenant- Local Council
- 1800 Asbestos Hotline: 1800 272 378
- SafeWork NSW – 13 10 50 or www.workcover.nsw.gov.au
- Heads of Asbestos Coordination Authorities – 13 10 50 or www.workcover.nsw.gov.au
- Environment Protection Authority – 13 15 55 or www.epa.nsw.gov.au
- Ministry of Health – www.health.nsw.gov.au
- NSW Government – www.nsw.gov.au
- Safe Work Australia – www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au
OTHER WEBSITES OF INTEREST
- Living Safe
- Free Online E-Learning for Electrical Industry – Networks NSW has developed a freely available asbestos e-learning package for electrical workers providing important information on asbestos. To access the resource visit https://emaplms.e-oz.com.au/ and select Asbestos Course.
Share this information on: