- Safe Work Australia codes of practice and guides for safe management of asbestos.
- All asbestos removal is to be in accordance with Safe Work Australia’s Model Code of Practice: How to safely remove asbestos July 2020.
- Asbestos — A guide for householders and the general public has been produced by The Department of Health to provide useful information to enable householders to sensibly and safely manage the risks arising from any occasional encounters with asbestos materials in and around their homes.
The most accurate way to find out if your fibro building product contains asbestos is to have it tested at a NATA laboratory approved for asbestos identification. You can’t tell by looking at it. If in doubt, assume asbestos is present and take the necessary precautions.
Any inquiries for analysis of suspected asbestos should be directed to NATA – The National Association of Testing Authorities. For a NATA Lab List call 1800 621 666 or refer to their website at www.nata.com.au. When searching for an asbestos testing facility use a capital A in Asbestos.
MR FLUFFY & LOOSE FILL ASBESTOS
For information on loose-fill asbestos ceiling insulation material installed by Mr Fluffy during the 1960s and 1970s in the ACT visit asbestostaskforce.act.gov.au or in NSW please contact Service NSW on 13 77 88 or visit NSW Fair Trading Loose Fill Asbestos Task Force.
Asbestos is still widely used in some countries. Despite being a prohibited import in Australia, goods containing asbestos are still being located at the Australian border. For more information visit
- The Federal Asbestos Safety and Eradication Agency website
- Australian Border Force Asbestos Page
- or download the Australian Border Force Fact Sheet on asbestos imports.
ASBESTOS HEALTH & ENVIRONMENT RELATED
- Asbestos — A guide for householders and the general public has been produced by The Department of Health.
- The Australian Institute of Occupational Hygienists has a list of consultants in occupational hygiene on its website who deals with asbestos issues. You can also call the institute on (03) 9335 2577 (03) 9335 2577 for further information
- The Asbestos and Hazardous Materials Consultants Association (AHCA) is an association for industry professionals within the asbestos and hazardous materials community with the aim of driving and encourage best practice through consultation and knowledge sharing.
STATE & TERRITORY GOVERNMENT INFORMATION & LEGISLATION
Every state and local government has their own legislation and policy in relation to asbestos in the home. Be sure to familiarise yourself with the regulations that effect you.
- Australian Capital Territory
- New South Wales
- Northern Territory
- South Australia
- Western Australia
RESEARCH & SUPPORT GROUPS
- Asbestos Diseases Research Institute – is a national body based in NSW that conducts research into asbestos-related diseases and supplies support services for people affected by asbestos-related diseases in NSW
- The Australian Asbestos Network (AAN) is part of a larger group of researchers comprising medical, epidemiological and public health researchers studying the impacts of asbestos on the community. AAN has developed an online resource to provide the community with information about asbestos; its historical legacy, current impacts on Australian society and the ways in which we can all help to minimise its harmful effects on our health and wellbeing.
- National Centre for Asbestos Related Diseases (NCARD) is a national cooperative research centre located in WA. The NCARD enables effective cooperative research to prevent, monitor, treat, and/or cure asbestos cancers in the shortest realistic timeframe.
- Asbestosis and Mesothelioma Association of Australia (AMAA) formerly Asbestosis and Mesothelioma Support Group (AMSG) also operates in NSW.
- Asbestos Disease Support Society (ASSS) – also operates nationally
LICENCED ASBESTOS REMOVALISTS
- Access Canberra provide a database of licenced Asbestos Assessors and Removalists
- WorkSafe NT provides a database of licenced asbestos removalists
- Government of South Australia list of licenced Asbestos assessors and removalists via asbestos.sa.gov.au
- Government of Western Australia does not provide a database of licenced removalists but provides details on how to check a valid licence
WHO TO CONTACT?
Safe Management of Asbestos in Your Home:
- General asbestos safety issues – Local Council
- Derelict properties – Local Council
- Safe Work Australia – www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au
Share this information on: