- Safe Work Australia codes of practice and guides for safe management of asbestos.
- All asbestos removal is to be in accordance with the Code of Practice for the Safe Removal of Asbestos NOHSC [2002(2005)]
- Asbestos — A guide for householders and the general public has been produced by The Department of Health to provide useful information to enable householders to sensibly and safely manage the risks arising from any occasional encounters with asbestos materials in and around their homes
The most accurate way to find out if your fibro building product contains asbestos is to have it tested at a NATA laboratory approved for asbestos identification. You can’t tell by looking at it. If in doubt, assume asbestos is present and take the necessary precautions.
Any inquiries for analysis of suspected asbestos should be directed to NATA – The National Association of Testing Authorities. For a NATA Lab List call 1800 621 666 or refer to their website at www.nata.com.au. When searching for an asbestos testing facility use a capital A in Asbestos.
MR FLUFFY & LOOSE FILL ASBESTOS
For information on loose-fill asbestos ceiling insulation material installed by Mr Fluffy during the 1960s and 1970s in the ACT visit asbestostaskforce.act.gov.au or in NSW please contact Service NSW on 13 77 88 or visit NSW Fair Trading Loose Fill Asbestos Task Force.
Asbestos is still widely used in some countries. Despite being a prohibited import in Australia, goods containing asbestos are still being located at the Australian border. For more information visit
- The Federal Asbestos Safety and Eradication Agency website
- Australian Border Force Asbestos Page
- or download the Australian Border Force Fact Sheet on asbestos imports.
ASBESTOS HEALTH & ENVIRONMENT RELATED
- Asbestos — A guide for householders and the general public has been produced by The Department of Health.
- The Australian Institute of Occupational Hygienists has a list of consultants in occupational hygiene on its website who deals with asbestos issues. You can also call the institute on (03) 9335 2577 (03) 9335 2577 for further information
LEGISLATION & LOCAL GOVERNMENT
Every state and local government has their own legislation and policy in relation to asbestos in the home. Be sure to familiarise yourself with the regulations that effect you.
- Australian Capital Territory
- New South Wales
- Northern Territory
- South Australia
- Western Australia
RESEARCH & SUPPORT GROUPS
- Asbestos Diseases Research Institute – www.adri.org.au
LICENCED ASBESTOS REMOVALISTS
- Asbestos Removal Contractors Association NSW (ARCA)
- SafeWork NSW Asbestos and Demolition Licence Holder Database
- Demolition & Asbestos Industry Association (DAIA) Queensland
- Yellow Pages
ASBESTOS REMOVAL TRAINING
- Housing Industry Association (HIA)
- Local Government Training Institute
- Masters Builders Association (MBA)
WHO TO CONTACT?
Safe Management of Asbestos in Your Home:
- General asbestos safety issues- Local Council
- Derelict properties – Local Council
- Safe Work Australia – www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au
Share this information on: