WHAT IS AN ‘ASBESTOS PPE KIT’ – PERSONAL PROTECTION EQUIPMENT (PPE)
Make up your own Asbestos PPE Kit and think of it as your tools of trade. Download Fact Sheet T2 for full instructions.
WEAR all items listed in the PPE Kit whenever working with asbestos.
ALL items in a disposable PPE Kit must be disposed of as ASBESTOS WASTE after use.
- Disposable coveralls
- Shoe covers
- Protective eye-wear
- Should be rated Type 5, Category 3.
- Be labelled for asbestos use.
- Be one size too big to prevent breaking or tearing when worn.
- Include a hood and elasticised cuffs.
- Cuffs should be pulled over the edge of gloves.
- If the cuffs of coverall arms are loose, seal them with tape to prevent fibres getting in.
- After the shoe covers are fitted, ensure the coverall legs then go over the top of shoe covers.
- After the mask and eye-wear are fitted, ensure the hood goes over the mask straps and arms of eye-wear, and covers all hair.
FOOTWEAR & SHOE COVERS TO BE WORN OVER SHOES
- NEVER wear boots or shoes with laces as they can’t be decontaminated.
- GUMBOOTS are the best option as they are easily wiped clean and have no laces. Once cleaned appropriately they can be re-used for non-asbestos work.
- SHOE COVERS are worn OVER shoes and should cover all of the boot/shoe and be secured above the ankle.
- WHEN shoe covers are secured, pull the cuffs of the coverall legs down to cover the top of shoe covers.
- Use ONLY disposable Latex, Nitrile or neoprene gloves.
- Tuck under the cuffs of coveralls and tape the cuffs if loose.
MASK (RESPIRATORY PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT)
- Your mask should be worn at all times when working with asbestos
- Minimum P2 filter, half face disposable particulate respirator.
- Half face non-disposable particulate respirator with cartridge is preferred but it must be decontaminated after each use.
- Half face non-disposable particulate respirator with cartridge is a better option. (Silicon is better than rubber) as fits better and not as hot.
- The wearer must be clean shaven in the area of the seal.
- All respirators are different shapes and sizes so it’s important that the size is
correct to properly
fit to the wearer’s face.
- Ensure your mask fits perfectly by conducting a respirator fit check.
- Close off inlet to filter with hands
- Inhale gently
- Hold for 10 seconds
- Ensure the face piece remains slightly collapsed
- ALWAYS wear protective eye-wear when working with materials that might produce dust.
- AFTER fitting your mask, fit your eye-wear and place the hood over the top of the mask straps and eye-wear arms.
Share this information on: