WHAT IS AN ‘ASBESTOS PPE KIT’ – PERSONAL PROTECTION EQUIPMENT (PPE)
If you live in a property with large amounts of asbestos sheeting, it is recommended you put together your own Asbestos PPE Kit in case you need to make some emergency repairs. Download a Fact Sheet for full instructions.
WEAR all items listed in the PPE Kit whenever working with asbestos.
ALL items in a disposable PPE Kit must be disposed of as ASBESTOS WASTE after use.
Wear the PPE in the following order:
- 1. Disposable coveralls
- 2. Footwear
- 3. Shoe covers
- 4. Gloves
- 5. Mask
- 6. Protective eye-wear
- Should be rated Type 5, Category 3.
- Be labelled for asbestos use.
- Be one size too big to prevent breaking or tearing when worn.
- Include a hood and elasticised cuffs.
- Cuffs should be pulled over the edge of gloves.
- If the cuffs of coverall arms are loose, seal them with tape to prevent fibres getting in.
- After the shoe covers are fitted, ensure the coverall legs then go over the top of shoe covers.
- After the mask and eye-wear are fitted, ensure the hood goes over the mask straps and arms of eye-wear, and covers all hair.
FOOTWEAR & SHOE COVERS TO BE WORN OVER SHOES
- NEVER wear boots or shoes with laces as they can’t be decontaminated.
- GUMBOOTS are the best option as they are easily wiped clean and have no laces. Once cleaned appropriately they can be re-used for non-asbestos work.
- SHOE COVERS are worn OVER shoes and should cover all of the boot/shoe and be secured above the ankle.
- WHEN shoe covers are secured, pull the cuffs of the coverall legs down to cover the top of shoe covers.
- Use ONLY disposable Latex, Nitrile or neoprene gloves.
- Tuck under the cuffs of coveralls and tape the cuffs if loose.
MASK (RESPIRATORY PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT)
- Your mask should be worn at all times when working with asbestos
- Minimum P2 filter, half face disposable particulate respirator.
- Half face non-disposable particulate respirator with cartridge is preferred but it must be decontaminated after each use.
- Half face non-disposable particulate respirator with cartridge is a better option. (Silicon is better than rubber) as fits better and not as hot.
- The wearer must be clean shaven in the area of the seal.
- All respirators are different shapes
and sizes so it’s important that the size is
correct to properly
fit to the wearer’s face.
- Ensure your mask fits perfectly by conducting a respirator fit check.
- Close off inlet to filter with hands
- Inhale gently
- Hold for 10 seconds
- Ensure the face piece remains slightly collapsed
- ALWAYS wear protective eye-wear when working with materials that might produce dust.
- AFTER fitting your mask, fit your eye-wear and place the hood over the top of the mask straps and eye-wear arms.
Share this information on: