- There are a number of safety precautions you will need to take including wearing approved protective clothing, the correct mask (not every mask is safe) or breathing apparatus. See Fact Sheets for step by step information.
- The 1800 Asbestos Hotline (1800 272 378) provides NSW with a central point of contact for asbestos enquiries.
- To learn more information about working safely with asbestos read Safe Work Australia’s ‘Safe Removal of Asbestos 2nd Edition [NOHSC: 2002 (2005)]
- To locate your closest asbestos disposal facility visit the Asbestos Safety & Eradication Agency’s disposal database
- Visit the EPA’s (Environment Protection Authority) ‘Safely Disposing of Asbestos’
- Use SafeWork NSW’s Asbestos & Demolition Licence Holder Search Facility to find a licenced removalist in your area.
It is recommended that if you are considering removing or working with asbestos yourself, you undertake a training course to ensure you have the training to do it safely. Courses are available at:
- Asbestos Removal Contractors Association NSW (ARCA)
- TAFE NSW
- Masters Builders Association (MBA)
- Housing Industry Association (HIA)
- Local Government Training Institute
- Comet Training
Share this information on: